Terminating an employee

To terminate an employee, navigate to the employee's profile under Manage > Employees, click the "Schedule Termination" button towards the top right of the screen.

When an employee has been terminated, they will appear under a "Former Employee" field in the employee list. They will also no longer be searchable in your account.

Terminated employees will still have access to their Justworks and will still be able to receive payments. Terminated admins will default to still having access to admin privileges until 2:00AM (EST) after their termination date. However, still existing admins can revoke these privileges at any time.

Effective dates

When you terminate an employee, you'll be asked to choose an effective date. This date will determine their final payment as well as when their benefits will end. Terminated employees that have benefits will receive those benefits until the end of the month following their effective termination date.

Ex: If an employee is terminated on June 23, their benefits will be effective until June 30.

Voluntary vs involuntary termination

As part of the termination process, you'll be asked if the termination was voluntary or involuntary. Justworks will use this information when administering Unemployment and COBRA benefits.

Examples of Voluntary: Employee quits, Retirement, Employee strike, Death

Examples of Involuntary: Employees is fired, Failure to renew a contract, Absence from work, Laid off

Still not sure? You can check here.

Reason for termination

As part of the termination process, we ask for reasons for termination. We will use this information for unemployment records, however this will not be visible to the termination employee. Please note, this information will be confidential however must still remain accurate for record keeping purposes.


This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.

seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found