What Is a W-2?

Form W-2 is an IRS tax form used to report wages, salary, and other compensation paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them. A W-2 will be issued to any full or part-time employee that receives a payment through Justworks. It will state the total amount of income received as well as all federal, state, and local taxes withheld. Each box on your W-2 will contain information that can be identified in the below list. Contractors, vendors, and owners that receive an owner’s draw will not receive W-2s from Justworks. This is what your W-2 will look like:


What Do You Have To Do With Your W-2?

You will receive your W-2 either by mail, directly in your Justworks account, or both, depending on whether you opted to only receive your W-2 electronically. The electronic and paper copies will be identical and either can be used to file your taxes.

What Does Each Box Mean?

Box a: Your Social Security Number

Box b: Your employer’s EIN (Since you’re a Justworks customer this will be Justworks’ EIN)

Box c: Your employer’s business address (This will also reflect Justworks' information)

Box d: Control number (This is for internal purposes and you won't need to do anything with this number)

Box e and f: Your full name and address (This is pulled from your account settings)

Box 1: Total taxable wages, tips, prizes, and other compensation. This does not include elective deferrals to retirement plans, pre-tax benefits, or payroll deductions. Note: Boxes 2 and 3 may contain different numbers than Box 1. This is OK and not an error.

Box 2: Generally, the total amount of federal income taxes and determined by the allowances, exemptions, and additional withholdings as indicated under “Finances” in your Justworks profile. (This is the same info as a Form W-4)

Box 3: Total wages subject to Social Security tax

Box 4: Total amount of Social Security actually withheld

Box 5: Total wages subject to Medicare taxes

Box 6: Total amount of Medicare taxes withheld

Box 7: Tips

Box 8: Allocated tips that your employer has distributed to you as income

Box 9: This is a verification code and one may or may not appear on your W-2.

Box 10: Total of any benefits paid on your behalf under a dependent care assistance program.

Box 11: Total amounts which have been distributed to your from your employer’s non-qualified deferred compensation plan.

Box 12: Various codes will populate this box such as payments related to employee 401(k) contributions, employee 501(c)(18)(D) tax exempt organization plan, non-taxable portion of sick pay, cost of employer-sponsored health coverage, employer contributions to an HSA, and more

Box 13: This is three boxes in one and will indicate if you’re a statutory employee, if you participated in your employer’s retirement plan (i.e. 401(k)), or if you received sick pay under a third party insurance carrier

Box 14: Anything not included in another box

Box 15: Your employer’s state and state tax ID number (This will reflect Justworks' information)

Box 16: Total amount of taxable wages for state taxes

Box 17: Total amount of state income taxes withheld

Box 18: Total local, city, and state income taxes withheld

Box 19: Wages from Box 18 subject to local, city, or state income taxes

Box 20: Name of the local, city, or other state tax being reported in Box 19

Why Does My W-2 List Justworks as My Employer?

Don’t panic—this is correct! As a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), Justworks reports taxes on behalf of your company and will therefore be listed as your employer on your W-2.

How Do I Find My W-2 In Justworks?

Log in to Justworks and click on “documents” in the left-side menu bar to find a PDF copy of your W-2.

Do I Need to Receive a Physical W-2?

No! If you plan to e-file your taxes and won't require a physical copy of your W-2, you can opt out. Simply go to the Finance section of your Account Settings, and select 'Yes' next to 'Paperless W-2.' Once your W-2 is ready, you'll see it in your Documents section.

What Do I Do If I See An Error On My W-2?

If you notice any errors with your W-2 let us know and we will issue you with a W-2C, which is a corrected version of your W-2. Use your W-2C rather than your old W-2 to file your taxes as it will contain the current and correct information. If you don’t let us know of any errors before April 9th, 2018, we may not be able to get you a corrected copy before tax day. Please keep in mind, it may take up to 2 weeks for us to issue a W-2C after you request it. Also, it's possible for you to request an automatic extension of time (Form 4868) and you will be granted an additional six months to file your taxes.

I’ve Lost My W-2. Can I Get Another One?

Unfortunately, we’re only issuing new W-2s if there is a correction that needs to be made, but you can print out a PDF of your W-2 from your Justworks account.

What If My Address On My W-2 Is Incorrect?

It's ok if the address on your W-2 does not match your current address. When you file your taxes, the different state and local amounts will be rectified. If you have moved to another state, please reach out to your account manager or support so we can look into issuing a corrected W-2. If you're still employed through Justworks, please update your address in your profile to correct your taxes moving forward.


This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.

seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found