Massachusetts is what is referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs this information to report unemployment taxes under customers' unemployment account numbers.
Here’s what we need:
1) Your Massachusetts Unemployment Account number
2) Your current Unemployment Tax Rate for Massachusetts
3) Third Party Administrator (TPA) access after your previous provider has filed for the quarter
Unsure of where to find the above? Please see the sections below with instructions for each requirement
Obtaining a MA Unemployment Account Number
Please follow the steps outlined below to obtain a Massachusetts Unemployment Account Number:
1. Head to MA Unemployment Insurance and click “Employer Login”
2. Next, click “Employer Registration” at the top left corner and complete the registration steps
3. After you've completed this application, you'll receive an unemployment account number within a few weeks, which you’ll need to send to Justworks.
Granting Third Party Administrator (TPA) access
To grant Justworks Third Party Administrator (TPA) access to your Massachusetts Unemployment Account, please follow the steps below:
- Head to UI Online. Log in.
- Click on Account Maintenance on the left.
- Click Third Party Administration Authorization.
- Go to New at the bottom.
- Enter 103503 as the TPA ID.
- Give us Access to All Presented Options (no need to check the options ending in “View Only).
Before Closing your Withholding Account, Grant Justworks Access to your Company's HIRD file
- Go directly to the MassTaxConnect portal here and login
- Click the 'Settings' hyperlink in the top right section of the Home panel
- Click the Assign access rights to a third party hyperlink in the 'I Want To' section.
- The Third Party Public Directory list will display
- Select/Search for Justworks Employment Group LLC
- Once Justworks is selected, click the Next button to see a list of your tax accounts
- Select the button in the Give Rights column for the withholding tax account, and select the “File and Pay” access type from the Access Rights column
- Click the Next button, review and then click the Submit button to confirm.
Closing your withholding Account
To close your Massachusetts withholding Account:
1. Log in to MassTaxConnect
2. Click into the Withholding Tax account
3. Click "Close my tax account" in the top right corner of the screen and enter the following
4. Closure reason: Final Return Filed
5. Closure date: (If Justworks effective date is the first day of a quarter, use the day before: e.g., 01/01/17 effective date → 12/31/16 end date. Otherwise, use the quarter-end date following the effective date: e.g., 05/01/16 effective date → 06/30/16 end date.)
6. Click “Submit”
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.