What is Statutory Disability?
Statutory disability insurance provides cash benefit of income lost due to an off the job disabling injury or illness.
Am I eligible for NY Statutory Disability?
New York Statutory Disability is available in the following circumstances:
1. An employer of one or more persons on each of 30 days in any calendar year becomes a "covered" employer four weeks after the 30th day of such employment.
2. Employees or recent employees of a "covered" employer, who have worked at least four consecutive weeks.
3. Employees of an employer who elects to provide benefits by filing an Application for Voluntary Coverage.
4. Employees who change jobs from one "covered" employer to another "covered" employer are protected from the first day on the new job. Generally, an eligible employee does not lose protection during the first 26 weeks of unemployment, provided he/she is eligible for and is claiming unemployment insurance benefits.
5. Domestic or personal employees who work 40 or more hours per week for one employer.
How much does NY Statutory Disability cost?
The cost of Statutory Disability is based on fifty (50)% of weekly earnings before the disability with a maximum weekly benefit of $170.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.