Washington, D.C. is what's referred to as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. State unemployment charges will be invoiced by Justworks; your company’s SUI rate no longer applies in Washington, D.C. If your business filed under your account for the prior quarter, you will need to suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Closing D.C. Unemployment and Withholding Accounts
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your D.C. Unemployment account:
- Send a fax to (202) 698-5706 ATTN: STATUS with the following information:
- Business Name and Business Address
- Employer ID Number
- Date of final payroll in D.C.
If you do not have access to a fax machine, Justworks can fax the completed form on your behalf.
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your D.C. Withholding account:
- Head to mytax.dc.gov after your current payroll provider has filed for the last quarter they ran payroll for you
- Click "Request to Close Account" under the "I want to" section
- Close Date will default to current date
- Account Close Reason- select "No D.C. employees"
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.