Georgia is what's referred to as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. State unemployment charges will be invoiced by Justworks; your company’s SUI rate no longer applies in Georgia. Please suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your GA Unemployment and Withholding Accounts:
Closing your GA Unemployment account:
- Let your current payroll provider know to indicate last filing on the quarterly returns for Georgia (DOL-4N) for the last quarter they’re filing for you.
- In the Employer Change Request section “D. If your business was discontinued or if a change in ownership has occurred, please complete the following”, please select “Business discontinued.”
- The effective date is your Justworks start date
- Sign and submit to the state.
Georgia also requests that you send a letter requesting the closure of your SUI account. The letter should include the following information:
- Company name
- Company FEIN
- Statement that requests to close your GA SUI account.
- The current GA SUI account number
- Date of closure: the day before your premiere date on Justworks
- Reason for closure: Joining Justworks Employment Group LLC (a PEO)
- Justworks' mailing address.
You can mail the letter to the Georgia Department of Labor at the following address:
Georgia Department of Labor
Suite 850, 148 Andrew Young International Blvd.
Atlanta, GA. 30303-1751.
Closing your GA Withholding account:
- Head to the Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Center and log in.
- Select the Withholding Tax Account
- Under the “I want to” section on the right, click “see more links for my account”
- Select “request to close account”
- Use the date before your Justworks start date
Additional Filing Requirements
Please work with your current payroll provider to file the G-1003 Withholding Income Statement Transmittal form to report the wages and taxes paid out on their platform prior to your time on Justworks.
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.