We've previously had employees in Mississippi
Mississippi is what's referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs your company’s information to report unemployment taxes under your unemployment account.
In order to report, please send Justworks your Mississippi Department of Employment Security Employer Account Number (MDES EAN) as well as Unemployment Insurance Contribution Rate. You will also need to grant Justworks Third Party Access authorization of your account.
- You can find your MDES EAN Account Number on notices received from the Mississippi Department of Employment Security such as the Registration Notification Letter or Quarterly Contribution Report (Form UI-2). You can also call the agency at (601) 321-6000 if you have any questions about your number.
- You can find your UI Contribution Rate on the Contribution Tax Rate Notice that is sent out by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security. It generally ranges from 0.24%–5.64% with a wage base of $14,000. Please exclude the training rate when inputting your UI contribution rate. If you’re unsure, verify your rate by calling your Tax Field Representative.
Granting Justworks Third Party Access
Please complete a third-party access authorization form (Form J-9) to grant Justworks the authority to report and file on your behalf. Once completed, send this form directly to Justworks!
We're a new business in Mississippi
You'll need to register for an unemployment tax account. There is no need to open a withholding tax account, since Justworks will file that tax under our own tax ID. Please follow the below steps to register for an unemployment tax account:
- Apply for unemployment tax account at the following with the Mississippi Department of Employment Security and click "New Business Registration"
- Once you receive your unemployment registration information please provide your account number and tax rate to Justworks
- Fill a form to grant Justworks third party administrative access to manage Mississippi's Unemployment Account on your behalf.
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.