Minnesota is what's referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs your company’s information to report unemployment taxes under your unemployment account. In order to manage, report, and file unemployment tax in Minnesota there is some information that we require from the customer.
Customers with an existing Minnesota unemployment tax account
Customers with an existing Minnesota unemployment tax account, will need to provide Justworks with the account number and rate. Justworks will also need to be made an agent of the account. To do so,
- Go to https://www1.uimn.org/ui_employer/employer/logi
- On the Employer Home Page, click Account Maintenance and then click Agent Authorization.
- Click New to authorize a new agent.
- On the Assign Agent page, enter Agent ID AG014589 and click Next.
- Assign the "Tax Payment Update and Submit" and "Wage Detail Update and Submit" roles, and any others at your discretion. These two are required for us to be able to submit your tax filings.
- Click Save.
- Agent details are displayed. For each role selected, click Assign Employer Units and select the unit or units for that role, and click Save.
Obtaining a Minnesota State Unemployment account number
Please follow the steps outlined below to obtain a Minnesota Unemployment Account Number:
- Go to Minnesota Unemployment Insurance and register for an unemployment tax account.
- Initially you will be provided with temporary login credentials. A week after you register you'll get a permanent user id and password in the mail.
- Once your account is created, please provide Justworks with your account number and rate, and add us to your account as an agent so we can manage the account on your behalf.
- Minnesota recommends that you complete registration by the time you pay wages in Minnesota.