Minnesota is what's referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs your company’s information to report unemployment taxes under your unemployment account. In order to manage, report, and file unemployment tax in Minnesota there is some information that we require from the customer. You will also have to close your Minnesota tax withholding account.
Customers with an existing Minnesota unemployment tax account
Customers with an existing Minnesota unemployment tax account, will need to provide Justworks with the account number and rate. Justworks will also need to be made an agent of the account. To do so,
- Go to https://www1.uimn.org/ui_employer/employer/logi
- On the Employer Home Page, click Account Maintenance and then click Agent Authorization.
- Click New to authorize a new agent.
- On the Assign Agent page, enter Agent ID AG014589 and click Next.
- Assign the "Tax Payment Update and Submit" and "Wage Detail Update and Submit" roles, and any others at your discretion. These two are required for us to be able to submit your tax filings.
- Click Save.
- Agent details are displayed. For each role selected, click Assign Employer Units and select the unit or units for that role, and click Save.
Obtaining a Minnesota State Unemployment account number
Minnesota recommends that you complete registration by the time you pay wages in Minnesota. Please follow the steps outlined below to obtain a Minnesota Unemployment Account Number:
- Go to Minnesota Unemployment Insurance and register for an unemployment tax account. If your company has only remote employees in Minnesota, as the employer you can select "No" for the question regarding physical location.
- Initially you will be provided with temporary login credentials. A week after you register you'll get a permanent user id and password in the mail.
- Once your account is created, please provide Justworks with your account number and rate, and add us to your account as an agent so we can manage the account on your behalf.
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
Adding Justworks as an Agent to your account
Please note once you register and complete your account set-up, you will be given temporary login information. Your company's permanent user ID and password will be sent via mail. You may not be able to add Justworks as an agent until you receive your permanent login information.
Once you do receive your log-in credentials, you can make Justworks an agent (third party access) by visiting Minnesota Unemployment Insurance. Please see the following steps:
1. On the Employer Home Page, click "Account Maintenance" and "Agent Authorization."
2. Click "New" to authorize a new agent
3. On the "Assign Agent" page, enter Agent ID AG014589, then "Next"
4. Next, select the "Tax Payment Update" and "Wage Detail Update." Please submit for both of these roles as they are necessary for Justworks to be able to submit your tax filings. You may add any other roles at your discretion, just remember to click Save!
5. Once this is completed, the "Agent" details will be displayed. For each selected role, click "Assign Employer Units" and select the unit(s) for that role. Once you've reviewed, click 'Save.'
If you’re having trouble granting Justworks access, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
Closing your Minnesota State Withholding Account
Justworks files withholding tax under our own tax ID. Please follow the instructions below to close your Minnesota tax withholding account if your company has already set an account up:
1. Log in to Minnesota e-Services
2. Click into the "Withholding account", go to the "Account Information" tab, and click "Close Account" near the bottom of the page.
3. Next, fill in the following information:
Account End Date: If your Justworks effective date is the first day of a quarter, please use the day before: e.g., 01/01/17 effective date → 12/31/16 end date. Otherwise, please use the quarter-end date following the effective date: e.g., 05/01/16 effective date → 06/30/16 end date.
Reason for Closing Account: Leasing Employees
Alternatively, you can always call the state directly at 651-282-9999 to close you tax withholding account.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.