Michigan is what is referred to as a client reporting state for Unemployment Insurance Tax. Justworks is required to file unemployment taxes in these states under our individual clients' Unemployment Account numbers, as opposed to Justworks Unemployment Account numbers.
Here's what we need:
Your Michigan Unemployment Account number (this is a 10-digit number)
Your current Unemployment Tax Rate for Michigan
If you don't yet have an Unemployment Insurance Tax account, you can register for one with the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency. Click Start eRegistration in the top right corner.
- For step one where it says "Select Reason" you should select "PEO: Client Level Reporting".
- For "Are you registering for a UIA Employer Account Number?", you should select "Yes" and enter Justworks' FEIN. You should then proceed to the next screen
If you have not previously given power of attorney to another provider/PEO, no action is needed. Once we have your account number and rate, Justworks will request access via the online portal so that we may manage and file SUI tax on your behalf
If you have previously given POA to another provider/PEO, please do the following:
- If applicable, log into your MI portal and delete any other provider's with POA.
Fill out Form 1488 only if you have previously given POA to another provider/PEO:
Section 1 - Employer Information
Section 2 - Enter the beginning authorization date (date joined JW). Leave the end authorization date blank.
Part 5 - Sign
Leave the Work Opportunity Tax credit section blank
If you have questions, you can contact the state at 1-855-484-2636.
Closing your withholding account
Option 1: Log in to Michigan Treasury Online.
- Select the appropriate business.
- Click Manage Business > Tax Types.
- Click Discontinue next to the Payroll and Pension Withholding Tax type.
- Enter your effective date on Justworks as the Discontinued Date.
- Click Submit.
- Option 2: Complete a 163 Notice of Change or Discontinuance.
Newly formed Companies, or Companies that just added a remote worker in Michigan
Customers new to doing business in Michigan need to create an unemployment tax account and can apply by following this link: https://miwam.unemployment.state.mi.us/mip/ereg/_/.
Once you've created an account, provide Justworks with your account number and tax rate. Justworks will then request access to manage the account via the online portal.
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.