Rhode Island is what's referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs your company’s information to report unemployment taxes under your unemployment account.
In order to report, Justworks needs your Rhode Island Unemployment Account number and Unemployment Tax Rate.
We don't have an Rhode Island Unemployment Account, what do we do?
If you don't have an Rhode Island Unemployment Account, fill out registration form here and indicate "unemployment insurance only" at the top of the page and follow these steps:
- Answer 'yes' to "Do you have employees working in RI?"
- Complete sections: A, B, C, D, E
- Under Section C, only complete:
- Number of employees
- First date wages paid in RI
- Are you: non profit, religious, IRS Code 501-C-3
- Do not enter amount of withholding taxes–this will open an account as Justworks can fax the application directly to Rhode Island at 401-574-8940
We joined Justworks in the middle of a quarter, what do we do?
If you transitioned to Justworks in the middle of a quarter, Justworks will file for RI Unemployment for the whole quarter, as there cannot be duplicate filing under one Unemployment Account. Please send Justworks your QTD payroll reports and request all funds back from your current provider for Rhode Island State Unemployment. Since we will file for the entire quarter, we will bill you for the amount that has already been withheld, and we don’t want you to pay twice!