Rhode Island is what's referred to as a client-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks needs your company’s information to report unemployment taxes under your unemployment account.
In order to report, Justworks needs your Rhode Island Unemployment Account number and Unemployment Tax Rate.
We don't have a Rhode Island Unemployment Account, what do we do?
If you don't have an Rhode Island Unemployment Account, fill out registration form here or begin the online process here, and indicate "Unemployment Insurance Only" at the top of the page and follow these steps:
- Select 'Yes' for "Do you have employees working in RI?"
- Complete Sections: A, B, C, D, and E
- Under Section C, only complete:
- Number of employees
- First date wages paid in RI
- Are you: Non-Profit, Religious, IRS Code 501-C-3
- Please do not enter amount of withholding taxes – this will open a withholding account
- Once complete, please fax the application directly to Rhode Island at (401) 574-8940
If you are having difficulty completing the online account setup process, please contact the Division of Taxation - Employer Tax Section, Monday-Friday between 8:30am and 3:30pm at (401) 574-8700.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.