Illinois is what's referred to generally as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. If a company has an unemployment account open and their tax rate is under a certain threshold, Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. Customers will then be subject to the Justworks state unemployment rate. In this case, please suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Closing IL Unemployment and Withholding Accounts
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your IL Unemployment account:
- Complete the UI-50A form, following the instructions below:
- Complete the header section at the top of page 1 with your business information, including your unemployment account number.
- Complete Section 2 “Request to Close Account” on page 1
- Date you ceased employing workers if you’re are still operating in Illinois: (enter your effective date with Justworks)
- Explain: “all employees leased to PEO (Justworks Employment Group LLC)”
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your IL Withholding account:
- Log in to MyTax Illinois.
- Click the Withholding Tax account number under My Accounts.
- In the Account Maintenance section on the left menu bar, click Request to Close Account.
- Enter the following:
- Closure Date: (If Justworks effective date is the first day of a quarter, use the day before. e.g., if you have a Justworks effective date of 01/01/17, enter a closure date of 12/31/16. Otherwise, use the quarter-end date following your Justworks effective date. e.g., if you have a Justworks effective date of 05/01/2016, enter a closure date of 06/30/16)
- Closure Reason: “Final return filed”
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.