With the Custom Payroll Report, Justworks administrators with Make Payments & View Invoices and Reporting permissions can pull useful data such as member net pay, total cost per member, and total employer-paid taxes from their Justworks account.
You can find the Payroll Report in the “Reports” tab in Justworks. Once selected, you can choose from a variety of different customization fields such as data type, date range or groupings to create a report that fits your business needs best.
Data types allow you to pick the specific fields that you would like included in your report as well as remove any unnecessary categories. By default there are 9 data types that are pre-selected to populate.
Additional options can be selected from the fields on the left hand side and through a variety of methods:
- Add all: Includes all available data categories and types
- Search bar: Find the specific data type desired within the options
- Adding category: Add all data types within a category by clicking the “+” next to the category group
- Individual data type: Expand a category using the drop-down caret “⌄”and select an individual data type
You can also remove any data types except “Full name” if it is not necessary or added by mistake individually by clicking the red “ - “ next to the data type under “Selected data types” or remove all options at once by selecting “Remove all” option in the upper right hand corner.
Once all your desired data types have been selected, click on “Add Data Types” in the bottom right corner to update the custom report fields.
Data Type Options
|Data Type Category||Data Type Options Included|
|Summary payroll information||
Gross earnings details
|Contractor and non-taxable payments||
|All member paid taxes||
*Individual taxes cannot be filtered
|Member paid deductions||
*Will include all manual deductions in aggregate by type, individual manual deduction filters cannot be applied
|All employer paid taxes||
*Individual taxes cannot be filtered
|Employer paid contributions and fees||
*All options in this category except EPLI can result in multiple columns
Note: “Total cost of member” is the sum of an employee’s gross earnings, employer-paid taxes, and employer-paid contributions and fees.
The Custom Payroll Report will have a default date range of Year-To-Date (YTD). However, you can easily adjust to frequently used ranges such as “Month-to-date” via drop down to automatically shift which range of check dates to include.
You can also select a “Custom” range based on a desired start and end date of your choosing.
There may be cases where you need to see totals broken out by particular groupings. With the Custom Payroll Report, you are able to group by department, office or work state.
This adds an additional line totaling each data type included by your selected grouping and can be seen both in the report preview and the downloaded CSV report.
If you would like to narrow your report down further, you can expand the “Advanced filter” option. You will be able to select filters such as member status, department, and office. You can also select to filter out members who weren't paid during your selected date range, to eliminate excess rows.
You can also search by keyword, which is especially helpful when trying to look for information that might not be covered by the above filters, such as a specific role.
Once you've entered the filters and/or keywords you wish to pull, be sure to hit the blue “Apply” in the filter box and then the “Update Preview” near the top of the page.
You can download your custom report as a CSV by clicking “Download .csv'' in the upper right hand corner.
Saving Custom Reports
You can now save report selections and filters as templates for information that needs to be periodically re-pulled.
After selecting all desired report settings, click on “Save As” in the upper right hand corner.
Enter a unique report name for your custom report template and save for future reference.
Once saved, you can access your individual saved reports by navigating to the “My Reports” tab in the Reports center.
There, you can directly download or delete saved custom reports using the arrow and trash icons.
When downloading a saved report, pre-filled date ranges (i.e., year-to-date, month-to-date, last month, last year) will automatically shift to match the date range used for the report. Saved reports using "Custom" date ranges will not update automatically.
You can also update your saved report template by clicking the report name and after making any necessary changes, clicking “Update” in the upper right hand corner.
- There are two columns for each of the medical, dental, and vision premiums in the employer contributions and fees section of the Custom Payroll Report. The first column, “Full Premium”, represents the entire employer + employee premium amount for the given employee’s plan. This is because Justworks debits the employer one month in advance for the total amount of all medical, dental, and vision premiums. The employee’s contribution, if any, is deducted during the month of coverage and “rebated” to the employer in that effective month.
- Example: If you pull a report from January 1-January 31st, the “Full Premium” column will pull in the total plan premium amount for February (which is also reflected in your invoice). The second column, “Contribution”, represents the full premium amount minus any employee contribution for the timeframe you’ve selected.
- Perks and Fringe Benefits: If your company contributes to perks such as ClassPass or a fringe benefit such as moving expenses, even if not directly receiving cash, an employee is receiving the taxable value of the company’s contribution. On the Custom Payroll Report, the company’s contribution will not only be listed both under the Perks, Fringe Benefit and Gross Earnings column but also included in the Total Cost of Member for the company.