Justworks - QuickBooks Online Integration
To get started, select “Connect to QuickBooks Online” under Accounting integrations at the top of the Invoices page. You’ll be prompted to sign into your QuickBooks Online account. Signing into your account will allow you to map pay types in Justworks to your Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online, and then send Justworks invoices over to QuickBooks Online.
BANK ACCOUNT MAPPING
First, you’ll need to create a mapping for your bank account. You should select the company bank account you have linked to Justworks here.
PAY TYPE TO ACCOUNT MAPPING
Now that you’ve set up your bank account mapping, you’ll need to map each pay type in Justworks to an Account from your Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online.
You can also link to sub-accounts from your Chart of Accounts.
Keep in mind that you’ll have to link every pay type to an Account in order to proceed. You can, though, link multiple Justworks pay types to the same QuickBooks Online Account from your Chart of Accounts.
If you’d like to track payroll expenses by department, you have the option to do so as well. Once you’ve set up your pay type mappings in the general setup above, you’ll see the option to map payment for each department that you have in Justworks to their own accounts in QuickBooks Online.
Unlike the general settings above, you will not need to map every pay type to an account. Therefore, any pay types not mapped on a department level will still reflect under the larger account for that pay type.
One good way to use the department mappings is to create sub-accounts of larger accounts for common pay types. For example, you could create several sub-accounts of the larger Salary + Wages account, so that there’s one for each of your company’s departments.
SENDING INVOICES TO QUICKBOOKS ONLINE
After your payments process and invoices are created in Justworks, you will be able to send each invoice over to QuickBooks Online with the click of a button.
From the Invoices tab, you’ll see the option to ‘Send to QuickBooks Online’ next to each invoice.
If you don’t see 'Send to QuickBooks Online' next to each invoice, return to the “Connect to QuickBooks Online” page to make sure you have all pay types mapped to an Account in QuickBooks Online.
Once sent, you’ll be able to see each Justworks invoice you send to QuickBooks Online as an Expense in your QuickBooks Online Account.
Once you click into ‘View/Edit’ from a certain expense, you’ll see a further breakdown by category. This will match what you see for each invoice in Justworks, mapped out to the specific account in QuickBooks Online.
Justworks - Xero integration
Justworks also connects to Xero. Send all your paid invoices to Xero so you can keep track of your entire financial picture in one place. Your invoices have all your payments and transactions.
To get started, you'll need to make sure you have Xero accounts for each Justworks invoice category listed below. These should be set up directly in Xero. Once you've done so, just click the button below to connect.
Linking your Xero account to Justworks
- In your Justworks account, navigate to "Invoices" located under “Payments”
- From your Invoices, click “Accounting Integrations,” then “Set up Xero”
- A list of Justworks invoice categories will appear. You'll need to make sure you have Xero accounts in your Chart of Accounts for each Justworks invoice category. You can use the same Xero account for multiple invoice categories. Once you've made sure you have your accounts set up in Xero, click the Xero logo to connect.
- Enter your Xero account information in the pop up window, and click “Authorize.”
- Map each invoice category to the to the appropriate Xero account that appears in the dropdown. Click “Save.”
- Please note that your connection to Xero will only last for a limited period of time. You'll be asked to reconnect to Xero once your connection expires.
- Once your information is saved, click “Send to Xero” next to each invoice you’d like to sync to your Xero account.
- Invoices will create draft bills in your Xero account, so make sure to login to your Xero account and click “pay bill” to complete the sync
Justworks - QuickBooks Desktop Integration
You can also upload IIF files into your QuickBooks Desktop account from Justworks invoices.
First, you’ll need to set up QuickBooks Desktop Settings. You can do so from going to your Invoices Page, hovering ‘Accounting Integrations,’ and selecting ‘QuickBooks Desktop Settings’.
From the next screen, you’ll need to enter an account from your QuickBooks Desktop Chart of Accounts to match to each Justworks pay type. Each account you enter must exactly match the name of an account that Chart of Accounts, so it’s important to be extra careful here.
Once you have those settings saved, you’ll be able to download IIF files that you’ll be able to upload to QuickBooks Desktop. Go back to your Invoices tab and find the invoice you’d like to upload.
From the top right of the page, you’ll see ‘QuickBooks IIF’, and see the option to download the file for the 2019 and later versions or the 2018 or earlier versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
You’ll be able to upload the file type that you select directly into your QuickBooks Desktop account.
IMPORTING YOUR IIF FILE INTO QUICKBOOKS DESKTOP
- In Quickbooks, go to File > Import
- Quickbooks may require you to create a backup, simply click OK and confirm the back up.
- Then select > From IIF Files, and click on the file you just downloaded from Justworks. The file name will look like this ---> justworks_invoice_[date].iif
- Once your data has been imported, select > OK
That's it - your information is mapped to your accounts in Quickbooks Desktop.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.