Texas is what's referred to as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. State unemployment charges will be invoiced by Justworks; your company’s SUI rate no longer applies in Texas. If your business filed under your account for the prior quarter, you will need to suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Closing your TX Unemployment Account:
Please choose one of the options below to close your TX Unemployment account:
- Log in to Unemployment Tax Services
- Click My Employers
- Locate your account and click “Select”
- Click the Account Info tab
- Under Quick Links, click "Update/Close Tax Account"
- Enter the following:
Reason for Close: Business Continued without Employment
Last Employment Date: (day before Justworks effective date)
Final Wages Date: (date company last paid TX wages prior to joining Justworks)
- Click Save
- If you don’t have an online account, you can fill out the C-13 Status Change form
- Provide the following information to this email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and they will close the account for you.
- Account Number:
- Account Name:
- Name and Title of person requesting the closure (owner or officer):
- Date last time a worker performed services for the employer in Texas:
- Date last wages were paid to a Texas Worker
- Telephone Number/Mailing address update if needed
- Was the business sold: (Yes/No)
- If sold – provide – name and contact information for new owner.
- New TX Unemployment Account Number (Justworks'): 14-116684-0
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.