New Jersey is what's referred to as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. State unemployment charges will be invoiced by Justworks; your company’s SUI rate no longer applies in New Jersey. Please suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Closing NJ Unemployment and Withholding Accounts
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your NJ Unemployment and Withholding accounts:
- Fill out the NJ REG C-L form and mail to the listed address: PO BOX 252 TRENTON, NJ 08646-0252
- Fill out Section A with your company’s information
- Leave Sections B, C, D, and E blank
- In Section F, indicate the last pay date with your previous provider on the “Date Ceased Paying Wages” line
- Sign at the bottom of the page
- Send to the above address
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
Additional Filing Requirements
Please work with your current payroll provider on the additional filing requirements:
- Provide each employee with a copy of his or her Form W-2 within 30 days from the date of the last payment.
- File a final quarterly return or annual return of New Jersey Income Tax withheld by the due date.
- File a Reconciliation of Tax Withheld (NJ-W-3) along with any appropriate forms.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.