Virginia is what's referred to as a PEO-reporting state for unemployment insurance. Justworks will report unemployment taxes under the Justworks unemployment account number. State unemployment charges will be invoiced by Justworks; your company’s SUI rate no longer applies in Virginia. Please suspend or close your previous unemployment account.
Closing VA Unemployment and Withholding Accounts:
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your VA Unemployment account:
- Complete the FC-20C Account Change Notice Information Updateform.
- Fill in the header section
- Skip to Section 7, Change Account Status to Inactive
- Select “I am still in business, but I no longer have employees working in Virginia”; select “Employees are now being reported by a Professional Employer Organization (PEO)
- Indicate Date Final Wages Paid (as applicable prior to Justworks start date)
- Sign at the bottom
- Send the form back to Justworks and we’ll input the Justworks information and send to the state.
Please follow the steps outlined below to close your VA Withholding account:
- Complete the R-3 Registration Information Change Request form.
- Fill in your account number and FEIN at the top
- Check the “No Longer Liable” box for Withholding tax. Enter the effective date (your start date with Justworks)
- Fax or mail the completed form to the address on the form
Additional Filing Requirements:
Please work with your current payroll provider to file the VA-6 Final Summary of Virginia Income Tax Withheld form within 30 days of the last month in which you pay wages.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.