Justworks is required to file unemployment taxes in certain states under our individual clients' Unemployment Account numbers, as opposed to Justworks Unemployment Account numbers.
In order to report, please send Justworks the following:
- Your UBI (Unified Business Identifier) Number
- Your ESD (Employment Security Department)/State Unemployment Account Number
- Your current unemployment rate for Washington
- Your L&I (Labor & Industries) Number (for Worker’s Compensation)
Please reach out to Justworks support for the following four pre-filled forms, and return to Justworks once completed:
- Washington ESD PEO Information form
- Washington ESD Power of Attorney form
- Washington L&I Authorization form
- Washington Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML) Power of Attorney form
Our company is new in Washington, what do we need to do?
If you're new to doing business in Washington, you can register for a UBI from the State of Washington Business Licensing Service. During the registration, when it asks if you are hiring employees, please select yes. This step is critical to your compliance, as it initiates setup of your Workers’ Comp account with the Washington L&I.
The UBI number should be available soon after registration, the L&I number should arrive within a few days after registration, and the ESD number will be mailed several weeks later. The four forms can then be completed with the addition of those numbers. Justworks cannot file without them.
If you’re having trouble completing the online account setup process, please contact the state’s customer service line for assistance.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.