Justworks is required to file unemployment taxes in certain states under our individual clients' Unemployment Account numbers, as opposed to Justworks Unemployment Account numbers.
In order to report, please send Justworks the following:
- From The Department of Revenue:
- Your Unified Business Number (UBI)
- From The Employment Security Department (Unemployment):
- Your unemployment account number (ESD number)
- From The Department of Labor and Industries (Worker's Compensation):
- Your L&I Number
- Your L&I Rate
- Your L&I Code
- Your PAC Code
Our company is new in Washington- what do we need to do?
1) First time hiring in the state
If you’re a new employer in Washington, please view the state's requirements here to register with the Washington Secretary of State, Department of Revenue, and obtain a business license as outlined by the state.
2) Register with Washington's Business Licensing Service
Navigate to the Business Licensing Service
Click “Log in” in the top right hand corner of the page and then click on “sign up” to create a username and password
Follow the steps to create a username and password
You will receive an authentication code by email. Enter this to validate your account
Now you can log in with the username and password you just created
Click on “apply for a new business license”
Follow the steps in the application process. You will need to provide specific information about your business including address and information about company owners. The whole process should take 10-15 minutes
The workers' comp mailing from the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) should arrive within 2-3 weeks and the unemployment mailing from the State Employment Security Department (ESD) should arrive 3-6 weeks following registration.
Once your UBI number has been received in the mail, please take the steps below to create and activate your Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML) account
3) Register for Paid Family Medical Leave
- Log in to your SAW account
- Select “Add A New Service”
- Select “I would like to browse a list of services by name”. Scroll through the list to select “Paid Family and Medical Leave”
- When you see the confirmation screen that lets you know the service has been added to your list, click “OK,” then select “Paid Family and Medical Leave” from your list of services to access your account. Click 'Access Now', then 'Continue' onto the next page. Finally, click 'Create Your Account' within the "Register a Business" section
An email will be sent confirming the account is active and a company ID number is issued as well. Please send Justworks the ID number to confirm the PFML setup.
The PFML email should arrive less than 3 days following registration.
If you’re having trouble completing any of the online account setup processes, please contact the state’s applicable department for assistance:
Secretary of State: (360) 725-0377
L&I (Worker's Compensation): (360) 902-4817
ESD (Unemployment): (360) 902-9500
PFML (Paid Family Medical Leave): (833) 717-2273 or email@example.com
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.