The Massachusetts Health Insurance Responsibility Disclosure (HIRD) form collects employer-level information about employer-sponsored insurance (ESI). This reporting is administered by MassHealth and the Department of Revenue (DOR) through the MassTaxConnect (MTC) web portal. Any employer who has had six or more Massachusetts employees in any one of the 12 months preceding the filing deadline must report the required information to the state, whether or not they offer employer-sponsored insurance.
The deadline to file the HIRD form is November 30 of each year. (Please note: For 2019, this deadline has been extended to December 15, 2019.)
What information needs to be reported?
The HIRD form asks for information that pertains to the health insurance plan(s) your company offers. Information such as employee monthly contributions, deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, waiting periods, etc., will all be requested. Much of the information you need you can find in the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) in your Justworks account under HR > Documents, and clicking on “Insurance Documents,” or in your account under HR > Benefits.
How will this information be reported to the state?
You are required to have an MTC withholding tax account (active or inactive) to submit the required information. In order for Justworks to file the HIRD form on your behalf as your PEO, you will have log into your MTC account to grant Justworks Third Party Access (TPA).
For Justworks customers who have never registered for a withholding account (e.g. if you hired MA employees after joining Justworks):
- Register here for a withholding tax account.
- Registration effective date - (use current date).
- Create a username & password and login through the portal here.
- After granting TPA (instructions below), you will need to close your account by clicking “Close my Tax Account” under “I Want To” section.
- Closure date should be same as registration date
- Reason should be: opened in error
For Justworks customers who previously had a withholding account (which is now inactive):
- Go directly to the MassTaxConnect portal here and login.
- If username/password is lost, click on forgot username/password links
How to grant Third Party Access:
- Login to MassTaxConnect and click the Settings hyperlink in the top right section of the Home panel.
- Click the Assign access rights to a third party hyperlink in the I Want To section.
- The Third Party Public Directory list will display.
- Select/Search for Justworks Employment Group LLC
- Once Justworks is selected, click the Next button to see a list of your tax accounts.
- Select the button in the Give Rights column for the withholding tax account, and select the “File and Pay” access type from the Access Rights column.
- Click the Next button, review and then click the Submit button to confirm.
Looking for more info?
Check out this list of HIRD FAQs published by the state. For additional questions regarding the form, or if any technical difficulties arise while trying to complete the form, please contact the HIRD DOR call center at 617-466-3940.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.