As a PEO, Justworks e-files various federal, state, and local states in the aggregate under our EIN. Because we file in the aggregate, we must keep our specific filings secure, as they contain information for all of Justworks' customers. Still, Justworks customers can access key tax filing information by using our payroll reports. This page provides guidance on how administrators can navigate our reporting to obtain information on important tax filings.
Forms 940 and 941
Using our reporting, you can access employer and employee tax information that would be found on federal Forms 940 and 941. Form 940 is filed on an annual basis to report Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) taxes. Form 941 is filed on a quarterly basis to report:
- Wages you paid
- Tips your employees reported
- Federal income tax withheld
- Both the employer’s and employee’s share of Social Security and Medicare taxes
- Current quarter’s adjustments to Social Security and Medicare taxes for fractions of cents, sick pay, tips, and group-term life insurance
- Qualified small business payroll tax credit for increasing research activities
You can follow the below steps to find information relevant to Justworks' filing of Forms 940 and 941 in the Payroll Report:
- Navigate to Company> Reports, and select the custom payroll report
- Include the data types for "All member paid taxes" and "All employer paid taxes" as well as any other information you wish to include
- When selecting the date range, input the dates in question.
- You may also want to apply advanced filters. Here, you should only include those who earn W-2 wages, and exclude member types such as contractors, unpaid owners, non-US employees, and temps.
- You may also select or de-select your different offices or departments. Furthermore, keep in mind that the Member Status filter pulls information as of the current member state.
- Once you have the filters set to your preferences, hit the ‘Apply’ button towards the bottom right corner
- You can click "Update Preview" to review the report directly in Justworks or select "Download .CSV" to export the report as a CSV file.
State/Local Income Tax Withholdings; State Unemployment; Other State/Local Taxes
If you are looking for information on state and local income taxes, state unemployment, or other state/local taxes, you can follow all of the steps on the process outlined above. Upon downloading the report, you will have to delete federal tax information (federal income tax, FICA, and FUTA) in order to isolate the information relevant to state and local filings.