Expenses is an expense management tool that PEO customers can use to streamline expense reimbursement requests alongside payroll.
Employees can conveniently create expenses and submit reimbursement requests on the go with the Justworks mobile app, complete with taking pictures of receipts so that nothing gets lost.
Creating an Individual Expense
To create an individual expense, navigate to the Home tab and tap on the Expenses section.
Expense: An expense is a single cost that you incur while doing your job.
Next, you'll be directed to the initial Expenses screen where you can tap the Create an expense button to get started.
From here, you must fill out all of the required fields, such as:
Category: Type of expense request via the dropdown
Examples of default categories include:
- Car and mileage
- Home office expenses
- Meals and entertainment
- Office expenses
- Other business expenses
- Travel expenses
Transaction Date: Date expense was incurred (formatted as MM/DD/YYYY)
Amount: Total amount of the expense.
Based on your company's settings, additional fields may populate as a result of the category you've selected. These fields can include:
- Merchant: The name of the vendor from whom you purchased a good or service.
- Description: Short, free-text description of the expense itself (limit 500 characters and no emojis).
- Attendees: List of attendees. (Submitter’s name will populate automatically).
Uploading a Receipt to an Expense
When it comes to uploading a receipt, you have two convenient options to choose from:
- Choose from existing photos in your photo library: easily select a photo of the receipt that you have already captured and saved on your device.
- Take a photo in real-time using your mobile device's camera: simply aim, capture, and the receipt will be instantly added.
Please note, that only photo file formats, such as JPEG and PNG, are supported.
Once you have filled in all the required fields, tap on the Save button located at the bottom of the screen to save your expense. A green bar will pop up at the top of the screen confirming you’ve created your expense.
Editing and Deleting an Expense
If needed, you can edit or delete an expense after you’ve saved it.
To do so, tap the expense and select if you wish to Edit or Delete this expense. If you choose to edit, make your changes and tap the Save button.
Creating and Submitting a Reimbursement Request
Once you've created expenses, you're ready to create a reimbursement request and submit it for approval. Pro tip: you can add more than one expense to each reimbursement request.
Before creating the reimbursement request, it's important to note that you must first create all the expenses you wish to submit together. Take the time to create each expense individually before proceeding to create the reimbursement request. This ensures that all the expenses you want to include are accounted for and can be submitted collectively in the reimbursement request.
To create and submit a reimbursement request, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Expenses section from the homepage and tap Requests on the top right of your screen.
- Tap the Create a request button at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter a name for your request and tap Next.
- Select the expenses you want to add to your request (you can select all or select them individually).
- Tap Add to request to include the selected expenses.
- Take a moment to review all the information for accuracy.
- When you’re ready, tap Submit for approval.
Remember to carefully review all the details before submitting to ensure a smooth approval process for your reimbursement request.
Once you successfully submit your reimbursement request, you can check its status in the app as it moves through the approval process (i.e., manager/admin review, approved, or returned). We’ll also email you when the status of your reimbursement request has been updated.
Once it’s approved, you can tap on the reimbursement request to check the estimated pay date.
Editing and Deleting a Reimbursement Request
If your manager requires additional information or if there is a need for corrections, they have the capability to return your reimbursement request via desktop. Once the request is returned, you will have the convenience of making necessary edits or deleting the request directly within the Justworks mobile app.
To edit and resubmit a reimbursement request, follow these steps:
- Go to the Home tab and tap on the Expenses section.
- Tap Requests in the top right corner of your screen.
- Locate and select the specific reimbursement request you wish to modify.
If you need to change the request's name:
- Tap Edit.
- Make the necessary edits in the provided text box.
- Tap Update.
If you want to add a new individual expense:
- Tap Add.
- You can either select expenses individually and tap Add to request or clear all selections by tapping Clear all in the top right corner of the screen.
- Take a moment to carefully review all the information to ensure accuracy.
- When you're ready, tap Submit for approval.
To delete a reimbursement request, follow these steps:
- Go to the Home tab and tap on the Expenses section.
- Tap on Requests in the top right corner of your screen.
- Locate and select the specific reimbursement request you wish to delete.
- On the right side of the screen, tap on Delete.
This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, legal or tax advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal or tax advisor.